Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are full of ripe bananas and decadent chocolate chips. These scrumptious muffins are perfect any time of the day and are absolutely heavenly enjoyed right out of the oven.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
I don’t know about you but I haven’t met a muffin I don’t like. I think one of the things I like the best about them is that there are so many delicious variations for them.
If your family loves muffins as mine does, I have a few other muffin recipes they might enjoy like my Apple Banana Muffins and my Triple Chocolate Muffins. If you love Caramel then my Banana Caramel Muffins are a must.
Why Should You Make This Recipe?
Besides the fact that they are simply divine, you should definitely consider making this recipe because:
Easy to make – these muffins take no time to make and the ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
Ripe bananas – it’s a great way to use up those ripe bananas.
Versatile – they can be enjoyed for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
What You’ll Need
You will find the complete ingredients list as well as the instructions in the recipe card below.
Ingredient List and Suggestions
Chocolate chips – you can also use mini chocolate chips
Nuts – these are totally optional. The best ones to use would be walnuts or pecans.
Unsalted butter – unsalted is a must when baking. That way you can control your salt.
Can you use frozen bananas for muffins?
Yes, you can. However, you must defrost them first. Due to the liquid that will naturally be inside there, using them will result in really moist muffins.
What are the best muffins for mornings?
Blueberry, banana, or oatmeal. Of course, any muffins are great for breakfast, however, these are the ones that I think would be best to start off the morning right.
Can you freeze muffins?
You can definitely freeze the muffins you have left over. Simply wrap each muffin in plastic wrap then place them into a Ziploc freezer-safe bag. Make sure to write the name of the muffins and the date on the outside of the bag.
When you are ready to enjoy them, let them defrost on the counter overnight, or remove them from the bag and wrap and place them into the microwave.
First defrost them at 1-minute intervals at 50% and keep checking to make sure they have defrosted completely. Then to heat them, pop them into the microwave on a microwave-safe plate for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You must want them to be warmed up.
Why didn’t my muffins turn out?
Here are a few reasons that they might not have turned out.
Measured the flour incorrectly
Make sure that when you are measuring out the flour, use the spoon and level method. Do not just place the measuring cup into the flour and level it.
Overmixed the batter
Make sure when you are mixing the batter together, just mix until everything is incorporated, do not continue mixing it.
Baked too long
Start checking your muffins about 5 minutes before the end of the bake time. Make sure to use a cake test or toothpick to test the doneness.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Heat the oven and prepare the tin.
Step 2: Mix together the ingredients.
Step 3: Gently fold in the chocolate chips so you don’t overmix the matter.
Step 4: Add the batter to the prepared muffin tin.
Step 5: Bake and enjoy!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup mashed bananas 2 medium bananas
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt do not use table salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners, silicone liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, add in your flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mix together with a fork. Then add in your melted butter, and milk.
- In small bowl, whisk together your eggs and add them into the large bowl.
- In another small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher and then add them into the muffin mixture.
- Stir everything together and then fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour 1/3 cup or a scant 2 tbsp. of the muffin batter into the liners.
- Bake for 18 minutes then start to check to see if they are done. If they are not completely done after sticking a cake tester or toothpick into the muffin, place back into the oven and cook at 2 minute increments.
- After removing from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, remove from the muffin tin, and place on a wire cooling rack to finish the cooling process. Or enjoy these delicious muffins right from the oven.