My family loves mashed potatoes, but we all like them different ways. I have never been a fan of potatoes, milk and only butter, that’s boring. My husband likes clumps in them(yuck) while I like a perfect smooth and fluffy mashed potato with hints of flavors.
My kids love a little cheese added in and like them smothered in gravy. It’s difficult trying to please a family of four, so I make them several different ways. This creamy mashed potato recipe is one of my favorites, and a whisk on an electric beater is a must have to make them creamy, smooth, and delicious. Warming the milk and melting the butter is the trick with a bit of sour cream. This recipe goes great with any meat dish or by themselves.
Peel, dice and cook potatoes in salted water and garlic until tender, drain and remove garlic cloves. While those are resting in the strainer, add milk and butter to pot and heat thoroughly so butter is melted and milk is warmed. Add the potatoes back and whisk with electric mixer. (About 2 minutes) Add sour cream, salt and pepper, and whisk again. Add the cheese and give a quick whip to distribute the cheese. Make a hole and add a bit of butter!
|Creamy Mashed Potatoes||
- 6-8 medium russet potatoes-peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves-whole
- salt-for boiling potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup NY Style White Cheddar Cheese
- Peel, dice, rinse and cook potatoes in salted water and garlic until tender.
- Drain and remove garlic cloves.
- Add milk and butter to a pot and heat thoroughly.
- Add the potatoes to the milk and whisk with electric mixer.
- Add sour cream, salt and pepper, and whisk again.
- Add the cheese and give a quick whip to distribute the cheese.
- Serve by making a hole and add a bit of butter!