Our Kitchen Tools Shopping Guide 101 is a comprehensive list of the basic tools that your kitchen needs to flow efficiently.
There are so many kitchen gadgets out there!
If you’ve been down a aisle in the housewares/kitchen accessories/kitchen tools in your local store you know what I am talking about! It’s a bit overwhelming!
So if it’s a bit overwhelming for us then you know it is for the young college graduates getting ready to get their own place, the young newlyweds setting up their kitchen, or even for young adult moving out and getting their first apartment.
Kitchen Tools Shopping Guide 101:
This is a list of the basic items you need in your kitchen.
1. Rasp – Have you ever watched the cooking shows and they are talking about zesting a lemon? This is what they use!
2. Vegetable Peeler – I grew up using a knife to do this. Once I bought my first vegetable peeler, I never looked back. The peeler makes it super easy and quick to peel potatoes, carrots, etc.
3. Sifter – This works fabulously well when you want to sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa onto a dessert, French toast, or other delicious treats.
4. Meat Thermometer – It’s crucial to know if something is cooked thoroughly through, this is a must in any kitchen!
5. Melon Baller – Ever wondered how they create those cute melon balls, this is what you need.
6. Box Grater – This works great shredding cheese, slicing potatoes and other vegetables.
7. Colander – To strain such things as pasta, vegetables, or even grease.
8. Kitchen Shears – These are made for use in the kitchen. Do not use your sewing shears in the kitchen.
9. Candy Thermometer – This is perfect for when you are wanting to make caramel, candy and other sweet items that need to reach a certain temp.
10. Handheld Grater – Perfect for grating chocolate on a dessert or parmesan cheese on a salad or on top of pasta!
11. Pastry Brush – Perfect for brushing butter, an egg wash, basting meat and so many other things.
12. Biscuit Cutters – You can use this to make homemade biscuits and you can also use it as a cookie cutter!
13. Measuring Cups – If you can, have at least a set of 3!
14. Measuring Spoons – Like above, have a couple of sets so you don’t need to wash them off constantly while baking/cooking.
15. Wooden Spoons – I know some people don’t like to cook with them, however, I absolutely love mine!
16. Mortar and Pestle – Grind and crush whole herbs and spices like a pro!
17. Kitchen Timer – I also use the one that is on my stove, however, it’s important to have a separate timer or two for those times you are cooking multiple items.
18. Whisks – I have several in varied sizes. They work fantastically!
19. Ramekins/Custard Cups – I use these when I am baking to pre-measure out dry ingredients, we use them for dipping sauce holders, ingredients for taco night, and things such as that. The possibilities are endless.
20. Food Processor – Having one of these is necessary! You can make the perfect Pico de Galo, Salsa, dips, plus so much more!
21. Stand Mixer – After my hand mixer went out, I have never bought another one. I use my stand mixer all the time. Shredding meat, mixing cake mixes, dough, etc. Plus, with the available attachments, it is a multitude of different tools in one!
22. Blender – Perfect for milkshakes, smoothies, beverages. Really another must have.
23. Coffee Grinder – I have never used mine for grinding coffee. I use it to grind up peanuts, bread crumbs, and chocolate.
24. Rolling Pin
25. Cutting boards – I have three in varied sizes.
26. Lemon Press – Cut the lemon/limes in half, put them in, and you have fresh squeezed juice perfect for cooking!
27. Kitchen Utensils – A complete set that is very practical to have.
Looking to start off the new year by decluttering your home? Make sure to check out our post on decluttering your kitchen.
Shop This Post