There’s a reason liquid makeup is called ‘foundation’. It’s the base you build your entire look on and, if not applied properly, can ruin all the time spent with blush, eyes, lips and more. Like most women, I spent countless hours walking the aisles trying to find my perfect liquid makeup. Color is the most important feature, but there’s also coverage level, finish, oil free, water based…should I use SPF protection? Should it be hypoallergenic? Do I need a dewy or matte finish? Will it come off or soak up an hour after I apply it?
Once I found a few that worked well, I still had to wonder, “Am I applying it correctly?” Sponge, hand or brush? Do I use a primer? So much hassle for only the first step of a full routine. And, after all of that, I still didn’t feel like I was getting the final effect I really wanted.
Introducing the solution to most of your foundation problems: the EPIC airbrush makeup system from Luminess.
Epic by Luminess Air is where beauty meets the digital age. The Epic system features a built in display, easy to use interface and many tutorial videos which allows you to have your very own personal makeup artist teaching you the tips you need to master airbrush makeup.
Luminess asked if I’d like to take their 7th level system for a test run and I gladly accepted. I’d tried other systems in the past and found them lacking. So, why try again? Because innovation and time have helped Luminess curate the finest, most flawless application possible. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.
Size – Right away I knew this was the smallest system I’d used. I was used to a machine that took up half of my vanity space. The EPIC is petite and unobtrusive at just 4.5″ x 3.5″ x 2.25″.
Style – Sleek, sharp and sweet. There’s no flash to draw you in because the features are what matter. A sleek black and white finish with a silver gun gives this system a professional look. The video power button is separate from the gun power so that they can be used independently. The system also offers a holster to easily keep your airgun in place when not in use.
The Kit – The Luminess Starter Kit include 4 Ultra foundation shades, 1 primer, 1 blush and 1 Airbrush Glow (7.5ml each). Along with the makeup starter kit I also received a Skin Care+ starter kit that included 16ml bottles of Skin Defense, Tinted Moisturizer, Nighttime Oxygen Treatment and Skin Brightening Complex.
So the EPIC Airbrush System looked professional, took up less space and featured tutorial videos right on the unit. But, how would it perform? I filmed my first use with the EPIC. I was impressed with just how easy and flawless the system actually is.
- Easy to use – even advanced techniques such as contouring.
- Delicate finish – flawless, soft finish that is easy to control and create
- Quality Foundation – Luminess Ultra liquid foundations are true to color, blend well, and provide long lasting coverage. They are oil-free and mineral based.
- No foundation lines or spots – The fine mist of the EPIC eliminates defined lines and reducing time spent blending.
- Coverage control – a little or a lot. You decide by just adjusting pressure placed on the trigger.
- Hygenic – unlike brushes, sponges and fingers, airbrush never touches your skin, the counter or any other container where bacteria waits.
- Not limited to just foundation – Luminess systems can be used to apply their lines of blush, bronzer, concealer, eye shadow, skin care serums and even self tanner.
- Hard to Cover Spots – Feather-light coverage on blemishes, wrinkles, fine lines and uneven skin tone. No more patting and patting just to cover that one annoying spot. Ultra Foundation settles evenly on blemishes for even coverage without the makeup collecting around bumps and rough patched.
- Price – As fantastic as the EPIC System performs (and it really is amazing), it does come with a hefty price tag of $449. Your starter kit with your first set of makeup is included, but you’ll need to replenish it in time. Your makeup replacement bottles (7.5 ml) will cost between $18 (Ultra foundation) and $26 (blush). How long the bottles last will depends entirely on a) how often you use them and b) how much you use each time.
That being said, if you struggle with makeup application then the price may be worth the security of knowing you have a flawless finish instead of a makeup line under your chin. Or, if you suffer from acne, knowing that there is a way to get coverage that actually makes a difference.
If the price is still a bit steep, but you really want to try airbrush makeup, you can start with the Luminess Everyday System which retails for $189.
Have you ever tried airbrush makeup?