We’re all celebrating the arrival of spring and you know what that means… spring celebrations! This is the time of year for your first outdoor spring parties, Easter treats, baby showers and more. It also means you’ll be hunting for new recipes to whip up that everyone can enjoy. These Pink Pinwheel Sugar Cookies are a pretty way to add some sweetness to your next get together. The bonus? They’re also half the sugar calories thanks to SPLENDA® Sugar Blend. So you can enjoy a sweet treat and still prepare for what’s coming next: beach season!
I adapted this recipe from one found on the SPLENDA® SweetSwaps website. There are so many recipes to fuel your spring treat inspiration. But, the best part about SPLENDA® products is that they can be adapted into your every day recipes as well. You can enjoy all of your favorite desserts with fewer calories from added sugar.
Another great thing about these Pinwheel Sugar Cookies is that you can change up the color depending on your spring event. Attending or hosting a baby shower? Use pink for a girl or blue for a boy. If you’re planning a reveal party, wrap them in decorative tissue paper to make the color a surprise. If you’re feeling adventurous, these can also be made in a checkerboard or stripe pattern. Check out the full, original directions HERE.
JOIN THE TWITTER PARTY!
WHEN: Tuesday March 31 @ 1:00 PM ET. Hashtag: #SweetSwaps // Come join me for chat about how swapping SPLENDA® products for sugar can help you make easy (and tasty!) lifestyle changes.
Prizes: 5 winners will get a SPLENDA® prize pack including SPLENDA® products and $50 Visa gift cards. RSVP here: http://vite.io/themotherhood
Pink Sugar Cookie Pinwheels
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
- Gradually add SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to SPLENDA® mixture, beating until blended. Do not over beat.
- Divide dough into half.
- Shape one dough section into a short log, wrap in plastic wrap and set in fridge.
- Place other half of dough back into blender and add red food coloring. Use one drop at a time until it is the pink color you want.
- Shape pink dough into a short log, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Let dough chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the white dough on wax paper.
- Place a second sheet of wax paper on top of the dough and roll out until approximately 1/4″ thick.
- Repeat the same process for the pink dough.
- Remove the top sheet of wax paper from each dough.
- Flip the pink dough over and place – dough side down – onto the white dough.
- Lightly roll over both to press the layers together.
- Peel off the top wax paper.
- Starting at one end, roll up the dough to create one log – like a jelly roll.
- Wrap log in plastic wrap and chill cookie dough for one hour or until slightly firm. (Dough can be frozen up to three months at this point).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Slice cookies 1/4-inch thick and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
This post was created as part of the SPLENDA® Brand Sweet Life Blogger Program by McNeil NutriBonals, LLC and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time.