Post contains affiliate links. Purchases made through links provide us with a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to our disclosure policy for more information.
Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Sauce is a fantastic way to enjoy a healthy and delicious pasta dish for lunch or dinner without any guilt!
I like to add healthy recipes into my family's meal plan during the Summer when all of the fresh produce is in in our area. There is just something about cooking it fresh from the garden or farmers market.
This dish comes together pretty quick on it's own. If you’d like to save a little more time, you can use prepared tomato sauce to make this zucchini noodles recipe. However, you can make your own tomato sauce from scratch in less than half an hour or you can make large batches in advance and freeze the rest for easy weeknight meals.
If you've never cooked zucchini before, here are a few tips for making this easy Zucchini noodle pasta dish.
extra virgin olive oil
crushed red-pepper flakes
salt and pepper
HOW TO SPIRALIZE THE ZUCCHINI
It's actually very simple with a vegetable slicer. This basically does all of the work for you. And they are really easy to use!
HOW DO YOU GET THE WATER OUT OF THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES?
CAN YOU PREP THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES AHEAD OF TIME?
Zucchini Noodles with Tomato Sauce
- 4 large firm zucchini peeled
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and peeled
- Sea salt and pepper
- Tomato Sauce:
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil divided
- ½ T. crushed red-pepper flakes
- ½ c. tomato paste
- 2 c. fresh tomatoes chopped and seeds removed
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Garnish optional:
- fresh basil washed, dried and cut into thin slices
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Prepare the sauce by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, a dash of salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
- Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, slice the zucchini into thin, long noodles with a spiral slicer.
- Cut the noodles with kitchen scissors once they reach 10-12” long. Place cut noodles on paper or clean kitchen towels to absorb excess moisture and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the garlic turns golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and remove garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon or fork and discard. Add zucchini noodles to skillet and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. While cooking, use tongs to flip the noodles to ensure they are warmed on each side. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside. If you prefer to boil the noodles, just bring a pot of water to a boil, then toss in your zucchini noodles and cook for literally one minute.
- Remove from heat and toss with the warm tomato sauce. Transfer to a serving dish and top with sliced basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
Martina Crocker says
Zucchini Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce is the perfect healthy weeknight . I've finally gotten into the zoodles trend. Between the summer heat.