Our Baked Sweet Potato Frittata is a quick and easy meal that is full of eggs, sweet potatoes, gouda, red bell pepper and onions.
BAKED SWEET POTATO FRITTATA
Frittatas are an easy recipe idea that is not only great for breakfast but it is also wonderful for brunch! One of my favorite things about making frittatas are that they are so versatile! Wanting to use up some leftover holiday ham? How about some sausage? Feeling a lighter version with just vegetables? Not a problem!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN OMELETTE AND A FRITTATA?
An egg frittata is cooked low and slow. An omelet is cooked faster in a pan on the top of the stove on high heat.
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "momskoop20e-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_design = "enhanced_links"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B00G2XGC88"; amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "92a3fe8fcf4e6bc5bddffafbb7e1e4d4";
HOW DO YOU MAKE A FRITTATA RISE?
The quickest way to NOT have a frittata that rises is to overbeat the eggs. When making a frittata, the key is to beat the eggs until they are just blended.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE THE BAKED SWEET POTATO FRITTATA?
Sweet potato, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic powder, dried basil, dried parsley, eggs, half and half, gouda cheese, and fresh spinach or arugula.
If you are looking for other tasty Frittata recipe ideas, one of our favorites is our Egg Frittata! This simple breakfast idea is also great for brunch! Another simple to make recipe idea that is perfect for breakfast or a quick afternoon snack is our Banana Apple Muffins!
Ready to make this warm and fluffy Egg Frittata?
Below is a quick breakdown of the recipe. To get the full printable recipe and instructions, scroll down to our recipe card.
- Prep your vegetables
- Make the Sweet potato crust
- Add the eggs and ingredients
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "momskoop20e-20"; amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = "bottom"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "search"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Shop Related Products"; amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = "Christmas"; amzn_assoc_default_category = "All"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "b87ae9b6f336ca53e8188dcd05f5f76e";
Easy to Make Baked Sweet Potato Frittata
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium red onion diced
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 3 T. half & half
- 1 c. gouda cheese shredded, divided
- 2 c. fresh arugula or spinach
- The first thing you must do before turning on your oven is to move the top oven rack to the center position in the oven and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your cooking dish with non-stick spray. I love cooking my frittatas in a cast iron skillet so I just use one skillet for everything, however, either method will work below.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in all of the ingredients EXCEPT the eggs and the half and half. Stir everything together to combine.
- While stirring occasionally, cook until the pepper and the onion soften and the sweet potato starts to develop a bit of color; approximately 5 - 6 minutes.
- While the vegetable mixture is cooking, whisk together the eggs and half & half in a large bowl. Add in half of the gouda and stir to combine and set aside.
- Once the mixture is done, remove the skillet from the heat and transfer everything into the baking dish. Spread the mixture out into an uniform layer and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil into the same skillet and toss in the spinach and cook, over medium heat until the greens start to wilt. Then remove that from the heat and spread everything on top of the other vegetables.
- And lastly pour the the egg mixture on top of the other ingredients and spread with a rubber spatula to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake until the egg starts to set and the top turns golden brown; approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before slicing.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, tomatoes, green onions and serve immediately.