Salsa Verde is a delicious Mexican green salsa that is made with onion, chilie peppers, roasted tomatillos, cilantro, and lime juice!
One of my favorite things about salsa is that you can eat salsa without much guilt. Salsa is packed with so many veggies, it’s like you are getting your daily dose of vegetables without thinking about it!
If this is your first-time preparing Salsa Verde, check out the tips below.
WHAT IS SALSA VERDE MADE FROM?
Tomatillos, not green tomatoes, is the base of this recipe. Tomatillos look similar to little green tomatoes. They are covered in a papery type of husk.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND TOMATILLOS?
Tomatillos are available at usually most supermarkets at the produce section. I have found them at all our local stores.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRADITIONAL SALSA AND SALSA VERDE?
The only real difference is instead of using red tomatoes, you are using tomatillos. The tomatillos provide a yummy zesty flavor that tastes like roasted green chiles and onions.
HOW ELSE WOULD YOU USE TOMATILLOS?
You can use them in enchiladas, salsas, tacos, and soups!
WHAT DOES SALSA VERDE TASTE LIKE?
They have what you’d call a herbal taste between a fruity and tart flavor.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GREEN TOMATOES AND TOMATILLOS?
Both our members of the nightshade family. Tomatillos are from a different plant then tomatoes. Green tomatoes are unripe tomatoes that come from any tomato plant.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE CANNED TOMATILLOS IN LIEU OF FRESH?
Yes, you can. Since they are already prepared, you will just need to drain them.
HOW CAN YOU USE SALSA VERDE?
Salsa Verde is fabulous in recipes like these:
Salsa Verde Chicken
Salsa Verde Tacos
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
Baked Salsa Verde Chicken
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta
Salmon Salsa Verde
CAN YOU CAN SALSA VERDE OR TOMATILLO SALSA?
Yes, you can.
Authentic homemade Salsa Verde is such a versatile condiment. You will love not only making it but creating mouthwatering recipes with it.If you've ever wondered how to make Salsa Verde, then this easy recipe is what you are looking for!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 – 20 minutes
1 lb. tomatillos
2 medium jalapeno peppers
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 green onions, chopped
¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. dried oregano
¼ c. fresh lime juice
Optional: 1 T. honey
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Silpat baking mat
HOMEMADE SALSA VERDE RECIPE - PERFECT ANYTIME!
- 1 lb. tomatillos
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions chopped
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 2 t. dried oregano
- Optional: 1 T. honey
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- 2. Husk tomatillos and cut in half. Arrange tomatillos in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, along with whole jalapeno peppers and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat.
- 3. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
- 4. Once cool enough to handle, cut jalapeno peppers in half and remove seeds before transferring the roasted veggies to a blender or food processor.
- 5. Add green onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, and oregano.
- 6. Pulse until ingredients are combined, but the mixture is still a little chunky.
- 7. Taste and add a drizzle of honey to sweeten, if desired.
- 8. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately or freeze for later use. Enjoy!