Sausage Gravy and Biscuits is such a simple dish. Regardless of up are pro brunch, breakfast or dinner, there is really no wrong time to enjoy a hearty serving of homemade biscuits and gravy. Well maybe breakfast for dinner? I mean, let’s be honest, is there a really a wrong time to enjoy a big plate full of biscuits and gravy?
Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
I think one of my favorite things about breakfast is that regardless if you are craving something savory or something sweet, there is something for everyone.
Even though this recipe uses refrigerated biscuits, if homemade are more your jam, then our Ultimate Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits are a must.
Why Make This Recipe
You need to make this recipe because it’s:
Comfort food – sometimes we all need to eat food that’s comforting.
Easy to make – simple is what life is about.
Versatile – you can switch a lot of things up in this recipe.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can totally just make the gravy and use it for other recipes. Once you learn how to make this basic roux, you are on your way to a fantastic white gravy. Did you know that all homemade cheese sauces start with the same base?
What You’ll Need
At the bottom of this post, you will find a printable recipe card that doesn’t contain any images, that you can print off, that will have the complete ingredient list as well as directions.
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
Sausage – you can use any flavor your family prefers. At times I use hamburger when I’m making it for dinner. It’s totally up to you.
Seasoning – we used Cajun, however, you can use whatever you prefer.
Butter – make sure you use unsalted so you can control your salt. Remember you can add more table salt once you serve the dish. You can never subtract it.
How do you make gravy from scratch without flour?
You can substitute cornstarch instead.
How do you thicken?
If you want your gravy to be thicker, just add a little more flour at a time to get the consistency you want.
What if I want it thinner?
If you feel that the gravy is too thick, simply add more liquid, such as milk.
Step by Step Instructions
Below are the quick steps to make this easy breakfast recipe as well as in-process photos for your reference. The full instructions are in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat your oven according to the directions on the package for the biscuits or on the directions for your homemade biscuits.
Step 2: Next, prepare your baking sheet with cooking spray or a silicone mat.
Step 3: Preheat your skillet.
Step 4: Once the oven is ready, place the biscuits into the oven and bake following directions on the package. Once they are done, remove them from the oven, and let them rest.
Step 5: Once the skillet is heated, add the sausage and cook until it’s done (160 degrees)
Step 4: Once the sausage is cooked thoroughly, add the butter into the skillet.
Step 5: Add the flour and stir.
Step 6: Whisk in the remainder of the seasonings and milk and whisk together.
Step 7: As soon as the sausage gravy is done, take a plate, add a biscuit, slice it in half, and top with a large ladle of the gravy and enjoy!
Best Ever Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. white pepper
- 1/2 t. Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits 8 ct
- Preheat your oven according to the directions on the package for the biscuits or on the directions for your homemade biscuits.
- Either spray your cooking sheet with your favorite cooking spray or place a silicone mat on top of your baking sheet.
- Add a little bit of oil into your skillet and preheat your skillet on medium.
- When your skillet is ready to go, add in the sausage.
- As soon as the oven is ready, place the biscuits in the oven and set the timer accordingly.
- Cook the sausage until the meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees and until the pork is no longer pink.
- Once the biscuits are golden brown and done, remove them from the oven, and set them aside.
- When the sausage is thoroughly cooked, add the butter and mix together thoroughly.
- Next add the flour and stir the ingredients together and let the mixture cook for two minutes while stirring continuously.
- Then add in the reminder of the ingredients as well as the milk and whisk all of the ingredients together until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature to medium low. Whisk constantly for two minutes. As your are whisking the gravy, the gravy will start to thicken. Then remove from the heat.
- You can either serve up individually by slicing a biscuit in half, adding it to a plate and ladling on a big scoop of the delicious sausage gravy, or you can let everyone serve themselves. Enjoy!