Crab Rangoon are deep fried bites full of white crab meat and warm cream cheese. These tasty Crab Pillows are crunchy, easy to make, and can be fried or baked. If you are craving these crispy delicious Chinese appetizers but don’t want to leave the house, with our easy recipe, you can be enjoying these in no time.
How to Make Homemade Crab Rangoon
If you have ever dined at a Chinese restaurant in the US, then you have probably noshed on these delicious crab appetizers. However, did you know that you cannot get these at a restaurant in China?
But don’t worry. With just a few key ingredients, you will be able to make these delicious appetizers any time the cravings hit.
If all of this talk about appetizers is making you hungry? If so, then you need to head over to our page that is full of yummy appetizers.
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
- White crab meat or imitation crab meat
- Cream cheese – regular or lite
- Worcestershire sauce
What is Crab Rangoon?
It’s a sweet appetizer full of cream cheese and fresh or imitation crab.
Do you Use Real Crab or Imitation Crab?
You may be wondering if you need fresh crab or canned and honestly, I have used both before, however, I do prefer to use canned crab when I make the crispy appetizers.
The problem when you use real is that you get the fresh flavor of crab and it can be overwhelming when for this appetizer, you are going for the sweet flavor of the recipe.
Where Can I Find Wonton Skins in the Grocery Store?
Our wrappers are normally in the dairy section near the Tofu and Egg Roll wrappers.
What Type of Sauce Do you Serve with This?
I actually like to eat Crab Rangoon without any sauce; however, you can serve them up with a Sweet and Sour Sauce, a Sweet Chili Sauce, or soy sauce would also make a simple dipping sauce.
How Do You Seal the Edges?
You will need to brush the edges of the wonton wraps with a little bit of an egg that has been whisked or with water. Then once you put the filling inside, you can seal the Rangoon in two different ways.
You can either fold the wrapper into a triangle or you can pinch the sides together to make a pocket.
How to Make Baked Rangoon with Crabmeat
Follow our recipe as below, except preheat your oven to 425°F and place the crab puffs on a aluminum sheet pan. Bake for approximately 8 – 10 minutes. The total time to make these tasty appetizers is about 30 minutes.
How to Make Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
If you prefer using your air fryer, you can make them in there.
Just preheat your air fryer to 300 degrees and place the crab cheese wontons in there for about 8 minutes. However, make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t get too done.
How to Pinch Wonton Wrappers Together
Step by Step Directions
Below is a quick breakdown of the recipe. To get the full printable recipe card, head down to the bottom of the page.
Step 1: Combine the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 2: Lay the wonton wrapper flat on your work surface and add a tablespoon of the crab mixture in the middle.
Step 3: Seal the wonton and pinch the corners together. (Refer to the pictures above for tips on how to pinch the sides together).
Step 4: Fry or bake the rangoons.
Step 5: Enjoy.
Homemade Crab Rangoon
- 6 oz. can white crab meat or imitation crab meat drained
- 6 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 20 wonton wrappers
- about 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and powdered sugar.
- Mix in crab meat.
- Place a tablespoon of crab mixture in the middle of each wonton wrapper (do not overfill the wrapper or it will not seal properly).
- Brush a small amount of water or egg that has been whisked, on all four edges of the wonton wrapper.
- Pinch corners together, sealing them completely.
- Fry wontons in oil heated to 350 degrees for about 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool on a paper towel
- *If you decide to bake these in the oven, make sure to lightly spray your baking sheet with cooking spray so they don’t stick.
- To finish off the appetizer, you can slice up a couple of green onions and sprinkle them over the top of the appetizers and the plate.