Hot Chocolate Bombs are fun little spheres that are full of hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and candy! Just add the Hot Cocoa Bomb into a mug, pour steaming hot milk over the chocolate sphere and watch everything release into your mug. To add extra fun to this treat, top the Chocolate bomb with candy!
How to Make a Hot Chocolate Bomb with Peanut Butter Candy
One of the best things about Wintertime is sipping on warm hot cocoa! Of course the more marshmallows the better! When this new trend hit the internet, I knew we had to share a tutorial on how to make these fun spheres with you!
Once you try making these fun treats with your family, you may be inspired to make more things out of chocolate. Honestly, there is no limit to what you can make with molds. Like for example, my
What Chocolate Should You Use?
The best type is the chocolate that has a higher cocoa value, however, if you don't have any of that on hand, candy wafers will work perfectly. The thing to keep in mind is that when you use any type of chocolate bark or candy melts, you will have a bit of a different taste then when using an actual candy bar or melting candy wafers. However, any type of these chocolates will work great!
What Mold Should I Buy?
You can either use a silicone mold or if you have bath bomb molds, you can use those instead. In my tutorial, I show you how to use the bath molds since there is quite the demand right now for the acrylic and silicone molds.
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
- White Candy Melts - if they aren't available, you can also use Ghirardelli Melting Wafers.
- Chocolate Candy Melts - this ingredient is what really makes these bombs stand out.
- Hot Chocolate Mix - you could also use flavored hot cocoa mix.
- Mini Marshmallows - every hot cocoa recipe needs marshmallows.
- Peanut Butter Candies - this will be the topping to these balls.
What Supplies Do I Need?
You will also need bath bomb molds or cake pop molds and, if using bath bomb molds, I found it best to hold them steady in a cupcake tin.
How Long Do the Hot Chocolate Bombs Last?
They will last up to one month on the counter in an air-tight container. You can also store them in the fridge.
Step by Step Directions
Below I have included the in-process photos for your reference. You can find the full recipe and ingredients list in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Melt the candy melts and then put the melted chocolate into a piping bag and pipe the chocolate into the molds.
Step 2: Add in the white chocolate and repeat with the remaining mold halves.
Step 3: Place the molds into the freezer.
Step 4: Remove the chocolate from the molds.
Step 5: Fill the molds with hot chocolate mix, the candy, and mini marshmallows.
Step 6: Press the molds together.
Step 7: Finish decorating.
Step 8: Enjoy!
How to Make Peanut Butter Candy Hot Chocolate Bombs + Tutorial
- 2 cups White Candy Melts
- ¼ cup Chocolate Candy Melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 24 Peanut Butter Candies
- Place candy melts in separate microwave safe bowls and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Using a piping bag, pipe stripes of chocolate candy melts into each of the mold shapes, about ½ inch apart.
- Place the chocolate lined bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the molds from the freezer and place 1 tablespoon melted white candy melts into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even, attempting to work the white chocolate into the dark chocolate to reduce any air bubbles. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slide out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 1 tablespoon hot chocolate mix, 1 peanut butter candy, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- Using a piping bag or a fork, drizzle a small amount of the remaining candy melts on top of the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by pressing a second peanut butter candy on top.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!