Rice Krispie Heart Treats are a perfect Valentine's Day Treat! They are kid-friendly, easy to make, are totally customizable and will quickly become a family favorite!
How to Make Valentine Rice Krispie Treats
When I was younger, we made rice krispie treats a lot. They really are a very simple yet delicious treat!
I must admit though I always have a tough time getting mine to turn out. I do not know if I use too many marshmallows or if I use too much butter. Or it honestly may be that rice krispie treats may always just be one of those things I can’t make?
Recently when I was at Walmart, I came across a rectangle sheet of these treats!! I could not believe it! Now I can finally make the treats without having to MAKE them! LOL! That is a win in my book!
If you are looking for other fun treats that you can make for Valentines, I have a few recipes that you might enjoy. Like my Penguin Cookies or my Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. These delicious cupcakes provide two desserts. Decadent chocolate covered strawberries and moist chocolate cake! Of course, another quick Valentine's Day snack is my Pink Puppy Chow recipe.
Before you get started on this recipe for rice krispie hearts, here are a few tips and suggestions.
If You Can't Find the Pre-Made Sheets of Rice Krispies, How Do You Make Them?
Making rice krispies are pretty easy (not for me, but for most people), just melt butter in a large saucepan, add marshmallows, cook until marshmallows are melted making sure to stir constantly and then remove the pan from the heat once the marshmallows have melted. Add in the cereal, mix well, and press into bottom of a 15x10x1-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray then once the mixture is cool, cut into heart shapes with a greased cookie cutter.
How Do You Make These Different Colors?
Follow the directions above, except before you press the mixture into the pan, squirt drops of the food coloring color that you would like the treats to be. You may want to start with one drop at a time to make sure you slowly achieve the color you want. You don't want to overdo the color you want
How Long Does It Take for These to Set Up?
They will need at least 30 minutes to cool before you can cut them.
What Ingredients Are Needed to Make Rice Krispie Valentines?
Premade Rice Krispie sheets or you can make your own
Pink chocolate wafers – you will need this ingredient to keep the hearts in. You can also use white chocolate and add food gel.
Pearlized sugar crystals – this ingredient adds a fun look to these hearts.
Silver sprinkles – these add such a fun shimmer to your snack.
Step by Step Directions
To get the full breakdown of the recipe and the ingredients list, please refer to the printable recipe card below. Here are a few images of the process of making these Valentines treats for your reference.
Rice Krispie Heart Treats - Perfect for Valentine's Day!
- Silicone mat
- Microwave safe bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Cooking spray
- Rice Krispie Fun Sheet
- Heart cookie cutter do not use plastic
- 6 oz Pink chocolate wafers
- Pearlized sugar crystals
- Silver sprinkles
- Spray the heart cookie cutter with cooking spray.
- Press the cookie cutter into the crispy rice treat sheet. Just an FYI, this will be harder than you first think. Due to the firmness of the sheet of crispy rice treats, you will really have to put some muscle into it.
- After you have all of the hearts cut out (the number of hearts will depend on what size of cookie cutter you use). Pour 6 oz of the chocolate wafers into a microwave safe bowl and melt them according to the manufacturers directions.
- When the chocolate has reached the desired consistency, place the bowl on a cookie sheet and dip one side of each heart into the chocolate.
- Then place each heart on the silicone mat. Before the chocolate hardens, sprinkle on the sugar crystals and the sprinkles. Let the chocolate sit and harden for about 1 - 2 hours. To speed things up you can also place the cookie sheet with the decorated hearts in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets.