How to Make Valentines Day Puppy Chow
Post contains Amazon Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to our disclosure policy for more information.
This Puppy Chow recipe is full of creamy peanut butter, chocolate, rice cereal, powered sugar and M&Ms! Our Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow is one of those tasty recipes that the whole family can enjoy not just for Valentine’s Day but throughout the year! You can easily change it up for any holiday or event! Just add different colors of M & M’s or candies!
VALENTINES DAY PUPPY CHOW
The only problem I have with making muddy buddies or puppy chow is that once you start noshing on it, you can’t stop. It’s that good!
If you’ve never made puppy chow before, you are in for a real treat. It’s easy to make, it’s kid-friendly so they can help with the process, it’s a great on the go snack, and it’s totally versatile. My family loves my different varieties of muddy buddies. I love creating them for every holiday. So far I have my St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow, my Patriotic Puppy Chow, and my Christmas Muddy Buddies!
Before you get started making this tasty snack, here are few suggestions and tips.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE PUPPY CHOW?
- Creamy peanut butter – this is a key ingredient.
- Butter – need I say more?
- Milk chocolate chips – this is what you will coat the Chex with.
- Vanilla – make sure this is Pure Vanilla Extract
- Chex cereal – you can also use Rice Chex
- Powdered sugar – this will be what goes on top of the chocolate covered Chex.
- M&Ms – to give it a holiday vibe, use holiday colored ones.
- Sprinkles of your choice
HOW TO MAKE PUPPY CHOW?
Puppy Chow is made by pouring melted butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips Chex Mix cereal and then added powered sugar. It’s perfectly sweet and crunchy!
Puppy Chow OR Muddy Buddies?
Puppy Chow, Monkey Munch, Muddy Buddies, Muddy Munch or Reindeer Chow are many different ways you can refer to the yummy homemade snacks we make with Chex cereal.
Why is it called Puppy Chow?
I wish I had a fancy answer to this, however, I don’t. It’s simply called Puppy Chow because it looks like real puppy chow that you give to your dogs.
Is Puppy Chow No Bake?
Yes, Puppy Chow is super easy to make, it’s no-bake, and you just need a microwave.
How Do You Store Puppy Chow?
After it’s dry, place the mixture into a large airtight container. You can store it up for to two weeks!
Ready to Make This Easy Puppy Chow Recipe?
There is a complete printable ingredients list and directions in the recipe card below. I have included in-process photos if you need them as a reference.
Get the supplies to make this recipe
IF YOU LIKE THIS VALENTINE’S DAY RECIPE, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Puppy Chow Recipe – Valentine’s Day Style
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&Ms
- sprinkles of your choice
- Combine peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute, then stir until melted and creamy.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- In a large bowl with a cover, pour chocolate mixture over cereal. Cover and shake until
- cereal is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cereal. Cover and shake until evenly coated.
- Add M&Ms and sprinkles of your choice to complete your Puppy Chow/Muddy Buddies.
Made this and loved it!
That is wonderful! I’m glad you liked it!