Our Instant Pot Pot Roast and Potatoes recipe is simple and full of savory meat and tender vegetables that are perfectly seasoned.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT POT ROAST AND POTATOES
I love creating recipes that are not only easy to make but are so yummy.
That’s one of the reasons I love using an Instant Pot . There are so many different recipes that you can make with it.
If you are looking for another scrumptious recipe that you can make in your Instant Pot, then make sure to check out our creamy Butternut Squash Soup.
Before you get started making this recipe, here are a few helpful suggestions and hints.
Why Should I Make This Recipe?
Easy – the Instant Pot really is a time saver.
Classic – pot roast for dinner is such a timeless dinner idea.
Delicious – using an Instant Pot allows the juices to stay in the meat while it’s cooking.
What You’ll Need
You will find a complete list of ingredients as well as the equipment needed in the printable recipe card below.
Ingredient List and Suggestions
Fingerling potatoes – you can use another type that your family prefers.
Beef broth – you can use sodium-free if you wish.
Carrots – are totally optional. My family aren’t fans so I normally omit them.
Ready to Make This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast?
Step 1: Sear the Roast
Step 2: Prepare the Instant Pot and deglaze
Step 3: Cook
Step 4: Let pressure release
Step 5: Enjoy!
FAQ About This Recipe
How long does it take to cook a Roast in an Instant Pot?
It takes approximately 60 to 80 minutes.
Yes, you can. Since pressure cooking cooks meat quicker than in a slow cooker, it’s safe to do.
Why is my Instant Pot Roast still tough?
Usually if it’s still tough it’s because it still needs time to cook.
What is the best roast to use for a pot roast??
Hands down, a chuck roast. It shreds so much better.
How to Make Perfect Instant Pot Pot Roast and Potatoes
- 3 – 4 lbs chuck roast trimmed
- 4 c beef broth
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 T. cocoa powder unsweetened 8 oz. thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1½ t. garlic powder
- ½ small red onion diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 1 lbs. multi-colored fingerling potatoes halved
- 1 lbs. green beans trimmed
- 3 T. fresh parsley leaves chopped (optional)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to the inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “More” (high) setting.
- Once hot, add the roast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sear the roast on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove roast from Instant Pot® and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
- Deglaze the inner pot by adding the beef broth and gently scraping the bottom with a rubber spatula to release the brown bits. Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, cocoa powder, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Push the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Return the roast to the Instant Pot® and add the lid. Lock the lid into place and set the vent to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Set cook time to 60 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, and green beans on top of the roast.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and push the “Manual” button (should still be on “High.”) Adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve immediately garnished with fresh parsley leaves, if desired.