My Creamed Chicken on Biscuits recipe is a must-try. If you are looking for a budget friendly meal that the whole family will love, this is it! This easy dinner recipe is full of succulent chicken, savory vegetables, and creamy goodness. And with the addition of the biscuits, it's a complete meal.
This easy dinner recipe is full of succulent chicken, savory vegetables, and creamy goodness. And with the addition of the biscuits, it's a complete meal.
I love creating recipes that have a variety of components, but go together quickly, like my Stuffed Chicken Breast with Stuffing or my Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast. Another family favorite is my Homemade Chicken Strips.
I love finding classic recipes in cookbooks. I'm still old school and at times, I would rather go through a cookbook then look on the internet for a recipe. Growing up our cookbooks rarely had photos as many where cookbooks made by home cooks. Don't get me wrong, the internet is fantastic for finding recipes; especially with all of the photos, however, sometimes it's fun to pull out a cookbook and discover new recipes.
This recipe is an adaptation from a recipe I found for Creamed Chicken in Biscuit Bowls in the Southern Living Party Cookbook. If you love Southern Living magazines and cookbooks, then definitely pick this one up!
Why This Recipe Works?
Creamy chicken and vegetables that have been simmered to perfection is a classic dish that has been around for decades. If you are looking for a hearty dinner recipe that the whole family will love, this is it.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Unsalted butter - always use unsalted so you can control the salt.
- Cream of Chicken soup - this ingredient enhances your chicken dish.
- Chicken - can also use rotisserie or canned as well.
- Peas - can use fresh or frozen.
- Carrots - you can omit if your family isn't a fan.
- You can use either homemade biscuits, frozen biscuits, or store-bought biscuits.
At the bottom of the post, you will find the complete list of ingredients needed to make this dish.
You can get a full list of directions and ingredients that you will need in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Make the biscuits.
Step 2: Heat the skillet.
Step 3: Cook the chicken.
Step 4: Add in the vegetables.
Step 5: Add the milk and soup.
Step 6: Add in the remaining ingredients.
Step 7: Take a biscuit and slice it in half. Top with the creamed chicken.
Step 8: Enjoy!
You can use any leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken while you are at the store. Canned chicken works well too. It's all about using what you have on hand.
If you have any leftover turkey, you can sub that for the chicken.
You can also serve this up over creamy mashed potatoes or steamed white rice.
Refrigerator: Place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the fridge. This will stay fresh for up to three days.
What to Serve With
This is a such a versatile recipe and so many things work well with it. You can serve up sweet, buttered corn, a fresh side salad, or freshly steamed garden vegetables.
Slowly add in the milk and cream of chicken soup. That way you aren't adding all of the liquid in at once.
You can use this exact same recipe, however, in a large casserole dish, add all of the ingredients once they are cooked and top with uncooked biscuits. Place in the oven and follow the instructions on the can of biscuits and cook them until they are done.
Old-Fashioned Creamed Chicken on Biscuits
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Onion 1 small and diced = ½ cup
- ½ cup celery diced
- ¼ cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 10 ¾ oz. cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ cups chicken cooked and diced
- ½ cup frozen or fresh peas
- ½ cup baby carrots diced
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 8 biscuits - homemade or store-bought
- Bake the biscuits according to the directions on the tube of biscuits.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium high.
- Add in olive oil and your cut up chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through; approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, add in the celery, onion, carrots, and mushrooms and cook until they are tender; 5 to 7 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low an then add in the soup and milk and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, cheese, and peas and cook until they are heated thoroughly.
- Once the creamed chicken is ready, slice a biscuit in half and top with the warm creamy chicken.