During the week, the last thing I feel like doing is making a big meal. I am wanting a dish that is filling and ready to go in less than an hour start to finish. That’s why my Creamed Chicken on Biscuits recipe is a must-try. If you are looking for a budget friendly meal that the whole family will love, this is it!
How to Make Easy Creamed Chicken on Biscuits
This easy dinner recipe is full of succulent chicken, savory vegetables, and creamy goodness. And with the addition of the biscuits, it’s a complete meal.
I love creating recipes that have a variety of components, but go together quickly, like my Stuffed Chicken Breast with Stuffing or my Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast. Another family favorite is my Homemade Chicken Strips.
I love finding classic recipes in cookbooks. I’m still old school and at times, I would rather go through a cookbook then look on the internet for a recipe. Growing up our cookbooks rarely had photos as many where cookbooks made by home cooks. Don’t get me wrong, the internet is fantastic for finding recipes; especially with all of the photos, however, sometimes it’s fun to pull out a cookbook and discover new recipes.
This recipe is an adaptation from a recipe I found for Creamed Chicken in Biscuit Bowls in the Southern Living Party Cookbook. If you love Southern Living magazines and cookbooks, then definitely pick this one up!
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
Before you get started on this easy to make dinner idea, here are a few tips and suggestions.
- Unsalted butter – always use unsalted so you can control the salt.
- Onion – this brings the savory flavor to your dish.
- Celery – this brings texture to your recipe.
- Mushrooms – you can leave this ingredient off if you want.
- Cream of Chicken soup – this ingredient enhances your chicken dish.
- Milk – brings the cream to the recipe.
- Cheddar cheese – you definitely need cheese right?
- Chicken – can also use rotisserie or canned as well.
- Peas – can use fresh or frozen.
- Carrots – you can omit if your family isn’t a fan.
- Salt and pepper – the basic seasonings in every great dish.
- Biscuits – can use store-bought or homemade.
Why This Recipe Works?
Creamy chicken and vegetables that have been simmered to perfection is a classic dish that has been around for decades. If you are looking for a hearty dinner recipe that the whole family will love, this is it.
How Do You Make This as a Casserole?
You can use this exact same recipe, however, in a large casserole dish, add all of the ingredients once they are cooked and top with uncooked biscuits. Place in the oven and follow the instructions on the can of biscuits and cook them until they are done.
Classic recipes like this chicken casserole are always a great go to. That’s one of the reasons I love discovering new cookbooks. There are actually several in this one that I can’t wait to make! Make sure to get your very own copy of the Southern Living Party Cookbook so you can start drooling and start wrtiting out your grocery list!
Step by Step Directions
You can get a full list of directions and ingredients that you will need in the printable recipe card below. However, here are step by step directions for your reference.
Step 1: Bake the biscuits according to the directions on the tube of biscuits.
Step 2: Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium high.
Step 3: Add in olive oil and your cut up chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through; approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 4: Once the chicken is done, add in the celery, onion, carrots, and mushrooms and cook until they are tender; 5 to 7 minutes.
Step 5: Lower the heat to medium-low an then add in the soup and milk and heat for 3 minutes.
Step 6: Add in the salt, pepper, cheese, and peas and cook until they are heated thoroughly.
Step 7: Once the creamed chicken is ready, slice a biscuit in half and top with the warm creamy chicken.
Step 8: Enjoy!
How to Make Old-Fashioned Creamed Chicken On Biscuits
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Onion 1 small and diced = 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 10 3/4 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 cup baby carrots diced
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 8 biscuits – homemade or store-bought
- Bake the biscuits according to the directions on the tube of biscuits.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium high.
- Add in olive oil and your cut up chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through; approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, add in the celery, onion, carrots, and mushrooms and cook until they are tender; 5 to 7 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low an then add in the soup and milk and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, cheese, and peas and cook until they are heated thoroughly.
- Once the creamed chicken is ready, slice a biscuit in half and top with the warm creamy chicken.