Post contains Amazon Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to our disclosure policy for more information.
Do you like coffee cake? I have to admit back in the day anytime I heard the word "coffee" I would cringe. I couldn't stand it. Now, fast forward to midlife and I love it. That's why I felt the need to make this Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake. I mean, what's a better reason when it comes to making something to nosh on while enjoying a cup of coffee?
Coffee cake is one of those desserts that works perfect for any occasion! Plus since there is a wonderful variety of Bundt pans and loaf pans out there, there is never a wrong reason to make one.
Creating cakes in fun Bundt pans really takes your cake or dessert to a whole new level! I have started a small obsession with having a variety of different pans in my cabinets to use. If you love Bundt cakes as I do, then you definitely need to try this Red Velvet Bundt Cake! It's simply divine!
Why Should You Make This Coffee Cake Recipe?
One reason you should definitely make it is because it's been a favorite with our readers since 2011.
Once you make this recipe, your family will be asking you to make it again because:
Versatile - what is better than a recipe that you can make throughout the year and just not during the holidays?
Kid-friendly - your kids can help you make this recipe. They can help add in the yummy nut mixture both in the middle and on the top.
Taste - friendly - let's be honest, it's delicious.
Unsalted butter - make sure to use only unsalted when baking. That way you can control the salt.
Pure Vanilla Extract - make sure when you are purchasing vanilla to use in baking that you buy PURE Vanilla Extract. Try to not purchase the imitation flavor. It's not the same and you won't get the same results.
The original Sour Cream Coffee Pecan Cake recipe posted on 4/13/2011 on one of our former sites, Kiddies Corner Deals.
Step 1: BUTTER and flour your pan. This is a CRUCIAL step. It's better to over butter than to not have enough.
Step 2: Bring both your eggs and butter to room temperature by setting this items out right away while you are starting your prep work.
Step 3: Preheat the oven and start creaming together your butter and sugar once the butter is ready. This will take up to 5 - 10 minutes to get the ingredients creamed correctly.
Step 4: Make your cake batter.
Step 5: Assemble the cake.
Step 6: Bake.
Step 7: Enjoy.
Because it is often served with coffee or tea for breakfast. There is no actual coffee in the recipe.
The difference is because of the streusel topping. Regular cakes are topped with frosting and coffee cakes have a streusel topping.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
Coconut Vanilla Flour Cupcakes
Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Bundt cake pan
- Stand mixer
- Cooling rack
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients for the Filling and Topping
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 to 4 tbsp. water
- 1 teas. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream butter and the sugar together slowly. Add one cup of the sugar at a time. You do not want the consistency and feel of sand. You want it light and fluffy. .
- Beat in the eggs one at a time
- Fold in the sour cream and pure vanilla.
- In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix into the butter mixture.
- In another small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sugar, pecans and cinnamon.
- Butter and flour the Bundt pan really well. Cover every inch and crevice thoroughly.
- Pour about half the batter into a bundt pan.
- Sprinkle with half the pecan topping mixture.
- Spoon in the remaining batter.
- Top with the remaining topping mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes then start testing every five minutes until it's done. It's done when the cake tester or toothpick when inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, you can prepare the drizzle. In a medium sized bowl, add in the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 tbsps at a time of the water until you get to the consistency that you are looking for. Then pour over the cooled cake.
Seriously, Nichol. Why do you do things like this to me? This sounds AMAZING and now I'm starving!
Lol sorry girl. I ate one slice and sent the rest with hubby to work. Everyone loved it!
Debby Pucci says
Now this is definately a keeper. Thank you, it looks delicious.
Looks really really good. You seem to cook/bake a lot. Not sure how you have time to do it all. LOL. This looks like my kind of dessert. Thanks for sharing.
Cooking is a passion of mine, baking is something I like to do, but clean-up stinks. I bake on the weekends with the kids. Cook home cooked meals every night except Fridays:)
I have never made coffee cake before, and I don't know why since it was always one of those guilty pleasures of mine. I never thought to use sour cream in it, or pecans for that matter. I'm kind of excited to try this out.
I can only make this once a year lol. It's way to fattening. I'm working on a healthy version though!
This looks delicious! I had to comment; it looks like it would be a great coffee time snack.
Thank you for commenting! It's a delicious snack with coffee!
Yum! I just printed this out, I'm thinking of making it for Easter morning, it sounds so good :)