CHOCOLATE TURTLE POKE CAKE RECIPE
Post contains Amazon Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to our disclosure policy for more information.
Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake is a moist cake that is soaked with caramel sauce and topped with caramels, chocolate chips, and pecans.
CHOCOLATE TURTLE POKE CAKE
Did you know that this scrumptious Turtle Poke Cake has also been referred to as a Caramel Poke Cake?
I was going through some old recipe books and I found this recipe. The original recipe called for evaporated milk and a bag of caramels, cocoa powder plus powdered sugar dusted on top.
I am all about sweets but I have to say, that was a bit much, even for me. So I ended up tweaking the recipe to make it fit my family’s tastes. Of course, if you want to indulge, by all means, do.
I think what sets this Turtle Poke Cake off is the wonderful combination of chopped pecans and chocolate. This is a super easy dessert recipe. Don’t let the number of steps scare you off.
If you love decadent desserts then I have a few I think you will enjoy! Such as my Salted Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites, my How to Make Decadent Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes , and my Chocolate Lasagna.
This is the type of dessert that is not a calorie friendly dessert, but it’s truly good for the soul. And that is something that we all need at times.
Ingredient List and Suggestions
Cake mix – you can use either a devil food or a yellow mix. Since I had yellow in the pantry, that’s what we used.
Chocolate chips – either regular or mini work fine.
Nuts – pecans work the best.
How to Make Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake:
Step 1: Preheat the oven.
Step 2: Prepare the cake batter.
Step 3: Bake
Step 4: Poke holes in the cake.
Step 5: Drizzle the caramel, the chocolate chips and the nuts over the top of the cake.
Step 6: Let sit and enjoy.
FAQ About the Recipe
DO YOU HAVE TO REFRIGERATE POKE CAKE?
Yes, you will want to keep this refrigerated.
HOW DO YOU POKE A HOLE IN THE TOP OF A CAKE?
Using the round handled wooden spoon, poke holes about 1/2 inches apart over the entire surface of a warm cake. You want to just poke down a bit. You don’t make to poke the hole clear to the bottom of the cake.
WHY IS THIS CALLED A TURTLE CAKE?
In 1918, DeMet’s Candy Company created delectable candies that were made with pecans that were coated in caramel and then covered with gourmet chocolate. The inspiration for this cake was from those turtle candies.
HOW EASY IS THIS RECIPE TO MAKE?
I know the steps seem overwhelming but this is a very easy dessert to make!
The basis for this dessert is a box cake mix prepared according to the directions on the box. Then you poke holes in the top with the handle of a wooden spoon. Then slowly pour over the caramel syrup and then add the chocolate chips and the pecans.
Southern Butter Pecan Dalgona Coffee
CHOCOLATE TURTLE POKE CAKE RECIPE
- 1 box cake mix – you can use either a devil food or a yellow mix. Since I had yellow in the pantry that’s what we used.
- Ingredients according to the cake mix box
- 2 cups chocolate chips or 3 cups of mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 container of caramel syrup or a jar of caramel sauce
- Whipped cream or Ice cream optional
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Cooking spray and flour to prep the baking pan
- Mixer for the cake mix
- Wooden spoon or another round object to poke holes in the cake
- Heat oven to required temp according to the cake mix.
- Prepare the cake mix as instructed. Pour the cake batter into the baking pan and place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake according to directions on the box.
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool slightly for about 5 minutes.
- Then take the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake.
- While the cake is still warm, pour 1/2 cup of the caramel syrup all over the top of the cake and spread it around.
- Then generously sprinkle the chocolate chips and the pecans all over the top of the cake.
- While the cake is still warm, serve a slice of the cake and drizzle some caramel syrup over the top of the cake.
- The caramel syrup further moistens the cake and the chocolate and pecans had the perfect blend of sweet and crunchy.
- This dessert is also fantastic when it is enjoyed after it’s cooled completely. The mixture of the caramel, chocolate, and pecans is still amazing.
- Once you make this easy homemade chocolate poke cake recipe for your family, they will be asking for you to make it for them again!