Salmon patties made with either fresh salmon or canned is a tasty dinner idea that only requires a few ingredients such as salmon, dill, and mayo.
This quick and easy dinner idea goes together from start to finish in under 30 minutes and only requires a few ingredients.
EASY SALMON PATTIES RECIPE
Of course, when I was putting the recipe together, I got the “that looks gross” from my kids. You know that look right?!
Let’s just say that afterwards, they loved them and asked if I could start making them each week. No, I will not do that because I like to make different things, however, I am game to make them at least once a month.
One of the wonderful things about Salmon patties are that they are versatile in the fact that you can use either fresh salmon or canned. For our recipe though, I used canned salmon.
Before you get started on this old fashioned recipe that is a time-tested favorite, here are a few suggestions.
HOW DO I KEEP MY SALMON PATTIES FROM FALLING APART?
To make your patties stay together, you will need a binder such as eggs and an extender like breadcrumbs to create the “glue” so to speak that keeps the protein together.
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH SALMON PATTIES?
We normally eat asparagus or rice; however you could also do sweet potato fries, a pasta salad, or a crunchy side salad.
DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE SMALL BONES WHEN USING CANNED SALMON?
Honestly, it’s a personal choice. I prefer to as it’s an odd texture to me, however, it’s totally up to you.
HOW TO MAKE OLD FASHIONED Salmon Patties
This Salmon patty recipe comes together quickly. All you will need is two cans of salmon, eggs, mayo, panko bread crumbs.
Of course, you can also pick up dill, chives, and lemons to serve along with the salmon. My kids had their patty with a bun and added cheese…. yes, I know, but they are kids and for one of mine, who says, “cheese is life”, eats cheese with everything!
Below is a quick breakdown of the directions. To get the full instructions and shopping list, go down to the bottom of the post. There you will find the full recipe and a printable recipe card.
- Drain the salmon.
- Add in the other ingredients.
- Shape the patties.
- Brown them on each side.
- 2 cans of canned salmon (double check the bones and remove them if you would like)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil (in bottom of skillet to brown the patties, I used bacon grease to change up the flavor)
- Dill (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Lemon (optional)
- Drain the salmon and add it to the large mixing bowl.
- You can elect to debone the salmon if you wish. I do just because I don’t like textures like that, however, they are edible.
- Add in the other ingredients and mix them together.
- Heat the oil in the skillet and while the oil is heating, shape the patties into circles (like a hamburger).
- Cook the patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Serve with dill, chives, or lemon or with a side of rice.
- *this mixture will be very moist*
Using two cans, I was able to make 8 patties. One can equals 4 patties.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 22g
This recipe was originally on Life Food Family. That blog has been immersed into Momskoop.