Love bug cupcakes are a must make for Valentine's Day! These moist and delicious cupcakes go together quickly and they are perfect for Valentine's Day or really for any holiday!
LOVE BUG CUPCAKES
Since Valentine's Day is all about showing your sweetheart how much you love them, a cupcake idea that will fit into that theme easily are Love Bug Cupcakes!
This easy Valentine's Day cupcake recipe will come together very quickly with ingredients like prepared cupcakes, white frosting, pink candy melts, candy eyes, confetti hearts, black licorice, pink food coloring and an edible food marker.
Valentines is all about creating wonderful memories for your family and your significant other. Even though I am always all in for a meal I don't have to cook, there is something about enjoying Valentines or any holiday at home with just my family and no crowds. If you are planning an at home celebration this year, I have a few of my family's favorite recipes that I would love to share with you such as my Heart Shaped Pizzas, my Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes, and my Puppy Chow.
Here are some questions you may have about the Lady Bug styled Love Bug Cupcakes:
COULD I USE A BLACK EDIBLE GEL FOR THE MOUTH INSTEAD OF THE MARKER?
Yes, you would definitely use that.
WOULD IT BE OKAY TO SUBSTITUTE RED FROSTING FOR THE PINK AND THEN USE RED CANDY WAFERS INSTEAD?
Absolutely! You can customize them however you would like!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE THESE HOMEMADE CUPCAKES?
6 Cupcakes - either homemade or store-bought
White Frosting - this will be the base color of your cupcakes
Pink Candy Melts - you will use these to make the face
Edible Candy Eyes - so your love bug has eyes
Edible Confetti Hearts - you could also use heart shaped candies
Black Licorice - for the antennae's or you can use black fondant
Pink Food Coloring - to tint the frosting
Black Edible Food Marker - for the mouth
READY TO MAKE THESE ADORABLE LOVE BUG CUPCAKES?
The full printable instructions as well as ingredients list are on the printable recipe card below. I have included in-process images for your reference.
How to Make Love Bug Cupcakes
- 6 Prepared Cupcakes - Or make your own homemade
- - 1 Can White Frosting
- - 6 Pink Candy Melts
- - Edible Candy Eyes
- - Edible Confetti Hearts
- - Black Licorice
- - Pink Food Coloring
- - Black Edible Food Marker
- If you are making your own cupcakes, follow the directions on the cake mix box.
- Scoop out about ½ of the frosting and place in a bowl. Add 1-2 drops of the pink food coloring and mix well.
- Frost the cupcakes with the remaining white frosting. Then with the pink frosting, frost about ¾ of the cupcake leaving a little “V” wedge in the back. The pink will represent wings.
- Cut little slivers of black licorice to represent the antennas. You will need 12.
- Place a dab of frosting on the back of the candy eyes and place on the pink candy melts. Draw a smile with your edible marker.
- In the front of the cupcake, place a lovebug head and 2 antennas. Then, place 3 confetti hearts on each side of the wings.
- You now have a cute little love bug cupcake! Enjoy!!