Post contains affiliate links. Purchases made through links provide us with a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please refer to our disclosure policy for more information.
Tender and juicy chicken drumsticks that have been baked to perfection is what this recipe is all about. If you are craving the taste of BBQ chicken but don't want to mess with the hot grill, then our Baked BBQ Chicken Legs are a must try!
If you are planning a family picnic this Summer, then you know that a recipe for chicken drumsticks is a must!
Of course, you are going to need some sides to go along with this mouth-watering BBQ, such as macaroni salad and pasta salad.
Now, you know all picnics need refreshing beverages like lemonade or sangria to wash it down.
Here's Why This Recipe is a Keeper
I think you should make this chicken recipe because it's:
- Versatile - you can change up use whatever part of the chicken you like or whatever type of sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Easy - Takes no time to make
- Budget-friendly - this recipe only costs $.67 per serving.
At the bottom of this post, you will find a complete breakdown of all of the ingredients and the amounts needed to make this recipe.
Chicken - you can use either drumsticks, thighs, wings, or breasts. It's really your family's preference.
Sauce - this again is up to you. You can buy your favorite store-bought version or you can make our delicious homemade one.
You will find complete instructions at the bottom of the post.
Chicken legs laid out and ready for the oven.
Preparing the BBQ sauce
Spreading the BBQ sauce over the chicken.
The chicken is done.
- You can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs. It doesn't matter.
- If you have a favorite BBQ sauce that you prefer, that is fine to use.
Refrigerator: If there are any leftovers, place them in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for up to five days.
Reheat: To reheat, just warm them up in the microwave or place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until they have thoroughly warmed up.
Freezer: After baking them, let them cool and place them in a freezer safe bag or container for up to three months. To reheat, let them thaw in the fridge and them reheat in a 350-degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until they have completely warmed up.
I actually use this thermometer. I bought it in 2020 and use it multiple times a week and it still works great. I highly recommend this one!
BOIL the drumsticks if you are making them on the grill! If you are baking them in the oven, there is no need to.
Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Due to the higher fat content and the thicker bone density.
Yes and no. You definitely can as it helps keep the chicken moist and it helps to give the chicken a bit of crispier texture. Plus, it will keep the mess inside of the dish and under the foil and not all over your oven.
Baked BBQ Chicken Legs
- 9 x 13 casserole
- medium saucepan
- pastry brush
- 5 - 6 lbs. chicken drumsticks
- ⅔ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon creole seasoning
- Turn on the oven and preheat to 375°
- Spray your 9 x 13 casserole dish with your favorite cooking spray.
- Wash and dry the drumsticks with paper towels and remove the skin if you prefer.
- Wash your hands and dry with paper towels.
- Add the chicken into the casserole dish, place into the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, start to prepare your BBQ sauce.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, turn the burner to medium high, and add in your BBQ sauce ingredients. Slowly whisk in all of the ingredients.
- Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste the chicken with the BBQ sauce and place back in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn the chicken oven, baste again, and back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil and let the chicken set for 3 to 5 minutes so the sauce starts to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Leave a Reply