Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice is a flavorful recipe that is perfect for those crazy after-school nights when you have no idea how you will squeeze in dinner! Another reason this recipe is one of my favorites is because you get your main dish AND a side together! I mean how easy does that make dinner prep?
I am always looking for easy recipes that I can make in under 20 minutes. Not just prep in 20 minutes, I mean prep to stove/oven to table in 20 minutes. For me, that is a win!
This dinner idea is quick, contains basic ingredients that any grocery store will carry, and I think, will quickly become a family favorite!
- Shredded chicken that is already cooked
- Black beans
Looking for other tasty chicken recipes that will definitely leave your family wanting more? Our number one recipe is our Stuffed Chicken Breast that is stuffed with stuffing. This savory chicken dish also is covered in gravy! Our Chicken Tacos with Salsa is another terrific chicken recipe idea. The fresh corn salsa is what really takes this Mexican Chicken Supper to another level.
Below is a quick breakdown of the dish. To get the full ingredients and instructions, scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the free printable recipe card.
- Cook the rice in a skillet.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Canned chicken - feel free to use rotisserie chicken or cook up fresh chicken breast and use that.
- You can use brown rice if you prefer.
You could make this into tacos or a rice bowl. Either way would be delicious.
- cutting board
You can store this for up to three days in the fridge in an airtight container.
💭 Top tips
You can use Sazon seasoning on the chicken to add a really special pop of flavor.
Yes, you can do that! I would start off with chicken breasts in the morning on low. Add salt, pepper, and enough chicken broth to cover the chicken breast. Let the chicken cook 4 – 6 hours on low.
Once the chicken is done, remove the chicken, shred the chicken with two forks, and put the chicken back into the slow cooker. You can then add in the remainder of the ingredients and let the flavors marry together and the rice to fully cook for another 1 hour or so.
Definitely! That would be so yummy!
You could do that if you wish. I would consider using flour tortillas though so you could fold up the edges, so the goodies don’t fall out.
Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- cutting board
- 1 cup white Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 - 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup black beans rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- In a Medium skillet, place the rice, broth, water, and butter. Cover and cook for 17-20 minutes. If using a different rice, then cook according to your package directions. Depending on the type of rice being cooked, times can vary.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the beans, cooked shredded chicken, cilantro, and the juice of 1-2 limes. Mix together. Depending on your taste, add more or less lime juice.
- Salt to taste and serve.