Pico de Gallo, also known as Salsa Fresco, is a classic Mexican side that is full of tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro and lime juice. If you are looking for a delicious way to use up those fresh tomatoes from the garden, then whipping up a batch of homemade salsa is it! Believe me, once you take a bite of this fresh salsa, you will be wanting to make it all of the time.
Homemade Pico de Gallo
I think the best part about Pico is that you really don’t need to eat it with anything but tortilla chips! It’s just THAT good!
Pico de Gallo really is such a simple recipe and you can change it up for own family’s taste buds. It’s very versatile! Of course Pico is a not only great with tortilla chips, you can also serve it on top of tacos, such as our Chicken Tacos, on top of Enchiladas such as my Creamy Beef Enchiladas, and it also works great on our Doritos Nacho Casserole.
Why Should I Make This Recipe?
You should totally make this recipe because it’s:
Versatile – you can adjust the amount of heat as well as the amount of the vegetables.
Easy – this easy side dish can be made in less than 15 minutes.
Budget-friendly – this recipe is a great way to use up all of those ripe tomatoes!
Ingredient List and Suggestions
Tomatoes – you can use any variety of tomatoes that you have on hand.
Onions – you can use yellow sweet onions if you prefer.
Cilantro – not everyone is a fan of this herb. You can certainly just prepare it and serve it on the side.
How to Make Easy Pico de Gallo
You will find the complete breakdown of the recipe in the printable recipe card below. I have included basic steps and a few in-process photos for your reference.
Step 1: Start by washing the tomatoes and peppers. Dry and set them aside.
Step 2: Next, start prepping your vegetables. Chop the onions, tomatoes, and then the peppers. Make sure though that you use gloves when chopping the peppers. They are a lifesaver. If you have ever gotten the oil from the seeds of a jalapeno under your nails, you know what I’m talking about.
Step 3: Add these ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Then chop up your cilantro and add that into the bowl.
Step 4: Slice the lime in half and put one half into the citrus fruit press and press the fresh juice over the pico.
Step 5: Season with salt and toss the ingredients together. Then serve!
FAQ About the Recipe
Of course the best way to eat Pico is with tortilla chips, however, it goes great on any Mexican dish such as enchiladas, tacos, taco salads, chimichangas, burritos, fajitas, and of course nachos.
I always recommend wearing disposable food grade gloves when handling them. I thought I had washed my hands thoroughly once, but the oil had gotten underneath my nails. My fingers burned for quite some time.
I use whatever type is the ripest in the garden or whatever looks the best at the store.
When I am making salsa or cutting up tomatoes for salads, I will remove the insides. However, if I am slicing up tomatoes for sandwiches, I leave the insides.
Pico is a Mexican Salsa that is made with fresh red tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro and jalapenos.
Pico is a type of salsa that is made with the same ingredients as salsa, however, traditional salsa has a thinner consistency. What sets Pico apart is that you can see each delicious ingredient.
It will last up to a week when stored in a air tight container in the fridge.
Classic Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Citrus juice press
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- disposable food gloves
- 1 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno seeded and diced
- Juice from one lime
- Salt to taste
- 3 large tomatoes middle cut out and diced
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- First, wash your vegetables and let them dry.
- Chop up your onion, tomatoes and jalapeno and place them into the bowl. Make sure you are wearing the food gloves when prepping the pepper. The oil from the seeds will get under your nails. And believe me when I say if you itch your eyes with that oil from the seeds on your fingers, your eyes will definitely burn.
- Then add all of the cut up vegetables into a medium sized bowl.
- Next, pull the leaves off of the cilantro sprigs and cut them up with your kitchen scissors and add them into the bowl and stir the ingredients together.
- Cut the lime in half and then put each half in the juice press. *Tip: If you haven't bought one of these yet, you simply must buy one! It makes it so easy to get all of the juice out AND you won't get the seeds! Brilliant!
- Stir all of the ingredients together and salt to taste. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, eat it with a spoon, pita chips or whatever you prefer and nosh away!