Copycat Cosmic Brownies are not only a classic sweet treat, but they are also full of chocolate goodness and can be customized for a special day or just for a snack. Now you can make your own Copycat Cosmic Brownies right at home. Who says you need a bag lunch to enjoy them? They’re just as perfect for summer play days by the pool or sprinkler.
Little Debbie’s Copycat Cosmic Brownies
Most of us could probably share a story or two involving lunch box snack cakes. Some of my favorites were oatmeal pies and crunches. My oldest always loved the brownies. That ooey-gooey chew. The crunchy sprinkles. It would make his mouth water thinking about it until lunch time.
Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the pre-packaged snack cakes. They are just as delicious! However, for those who are dealing with food allergies/sensitives, this homemade recipe makes it’s easy to substitute so the whole family can enjoy them!
This recipe is also versatile as you can use whatever sprinkles you prefer! Customize them for a birthday party, special celebration, or just for the fact it’s a Monday!
Before you get started making this recipe, here are a few helpful hints.
- Make sure that you use All-purpose flour. This flour will give you the best results when making this recipe. When you are measuring this ingredient out, use the scoop with a spoon and level with a knife method. Do not just put the measuring cup in the container and fill it full.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder is where you need to spend a bit of money when buying. Make sure that you are either buy natural or Dutch-process, which gives you a really gooey, fudgy dessert.
- If you are using unsalted butter, you will need to add either kosher or sea salt. However, if you are using salted butter, you do NOT need to add any type of salt.
- Heavy whipping cream is key when making this recipe. It brings the creaminess that you want in a brownie.
To get the full list of ingredients, refer to the recipe card below.
Substitutions & Variations
- Feel free to use any type of sprinkles that your family prefers.
- If you are out of heavy whipping cream, you can use milk and butter to make your own.
- You can switch out the semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
- You could use a store-bought brownie mix if you don’t feel like making the brownies from scratch.
To get the exact look of our recipe, make sure to use the exact ingredients and measurements that we used when making this. If you don’t, your results may differ. If you do change it up though, please leave the results in the comments.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a bowl, combine the pure vanilla extract, melted butter, brown sugar, white granulated sugar and eggs together.
Step 2: Next, add in the flour and cocoa powder.
Step 3: Add the mixture to the pan.
Step 4: Bake and then cool.
Step 5: Prepare the frosting and add the sprinkles.
Tip #1: When using butter, make sure that you bring it to room-temperature if the recipe calls for the butter to be “softened”.
Tip #2: Make sure to not overmix the batter.
You can store them in an air-tight container for about one week in the fridge. If you are leaving them in a container on the counter, they will be good for up to three days.
Homemade Little Debbie’s Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- Large bowl
- baking pan
- Medium bowl
- 3/4 cup melted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chips
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Confetti Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with non stick spray.
- Combine melted butter, eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until incorporated.
- Add the flour and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Lightly smooth and level the top.
- Bake 25 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan.
- Microwave chocolate chips and cream in a medium bowl for 1 minute
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour icing over cooled brownies and lightly smooth.
- Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes to allow icing to slightly firm.
- Add sprinkles to top and return to refrigerator to finish setting.
- When icing is completely set, Slice and serve.
This post was originally posted in 2014 and was next updated on Apr 29, 2018