Our Apple Waldorf Salad is full of apples, walnuts, celery, and grapes. This classic fruit and nut salad is great any time of the year!
There is nothing better than a crunchy salad that is full of flavor and is easy to make!
Our easy Waldorf Salad is perfect for picnics, potlucks, or just for any reason at all!
If you are looking for more tasty recipes that would work great with our salad, try our pork sandwiches, our spicy deviled eggs, and our fun cupcakes! If you are looking for more recipes that call for apples, we have you covered! Our top recipe that uses apples is our Banana Apple Muffins. These moist and tasty muffins are great anytime of the day!
Another great apple recipe is our Warm Apple Crisp. Granted, this may be more of a Fall dish but there is nothing like a warm Fruit dessert served right out of the oven and topped with ice cream! You may be looking for a fruity adult beverage that uses apples instead. Our Fall Sangria might become a favorite.
Before you start working on this Summer salad, here are a few answers to questions you may have:
WHY IS IT CALLED WALDORF SALAD?
This salad got its name from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. It was created for a ball on March 14, 1896. This recipe appeared in a cookbook entitled, “The Cook Book” by “Oscar of the Waldorf” in 1896.
HOW DO YOU PREVENT THE APPLES FROM TURNING BROWN WHEN YOU CHOP THEM?
As soon as you chop the apples, put them into a bowl and add a couple of tbsps. of lemon juice and stir the apples and lemon together. The lemon prevents them from turning brown.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR MAKING A WALDORF SALAD?
You will want to use a variety of red such as Fuji, Pink Lady, and Gala and green Granny Smith.
WHAT IS A WALDORF SALAD?
It’s basically a fruit and nut salad that contains apples, grapes, celery, and walnuts and is served on lettuce. The dressing is normally mayonnaise, however, you can use Greek yogurt instead.
Ready to make the classic Apple Waldorf Salad?
- 1 cup of red apples, diced
- 1 cup of diced green apples
- 2 cups chopped iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup grapes, sliced in half
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsps. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- Chop up the lettuce and wash it. While it's drying, wash the apples, grapes, and celery.
- Pat the apples dry and dice them into small chunks. You can either remove the skin or keep it on. Normally when I make salads with apples, I always keep the skin on. The skin is a great source of nutrition and it adds a different texture to your salad.
- Place the diced apples into a small bowl and add the lemon juice to it. Make sure to thoroughly coat the apples with the juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the chopped lettuce and the remainder of the ingredients except the dressing.
- Once all of the ingredients are added, stir in the yogurt or mayo. Add salt and pepper if you'd like.
- Serve on salad plates and Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 7gSugar: 17gProtein: 10g