These Apple Pie Bites are full of savory tender apples, warm cinnamon, and a flaky crust. Add some vanilla ice cream and it is out of this world! The best part about these bite-sized apple desserts are that they are pure perfection.
APPLE PIE BITES
This two bite dessert contains everything an apple pie does, but just in a miniature bite.
I have a confession, I am not a big fan of pumpkin spice. There I said it. I’m not going to lie, I’m not. Anything made with an apple; especially apple pie is a totally different story! My love for apples is actually one of the reasons that I love the Fall season. It’s a great excuse to make anything you can out of apples!
Why Should You Make This Recipe?
If you love a warm slice of apple pie topped with vanilla ice cream then you must make these mini bite-sized versions of apple pie!
These mini apple desserts are:
Easy – since you can use store-bought pie crust or homemade.
Great way to use up apples – if you have some apples in the fruit basket no one is eating, this is a great way to use them.
Taste – seriously these are like mini versions of slices of apple pie!
What You’ll Need
In the printable recipe card below, you will find everything you need such as the ingredient list and the instructions.
Ingredients List and Substitutions
Pie crust – if you’d rather not make your own dough, store-bought works perfect for this recipe.
Filing – you can definitely use apple pie filling if you prefer to cut down on the process.
Unsalted butter – this is a must! Using unsalted is the only way you can control the amount of salt in your recipe.
How to Make Apple Pie Bites with Pie Crust
Step 1: Prepare apples and cinnamon mixture
Step 2: Prepare crust
Step 3: Bake
Step 4: Enjoy!
FAQ About This Recipe
What are the Best Apples to use when making Apple Pie?
Granny Smith are excellent and in my opinion the best ones to use. They add the tartness that is needed when making a pie with apples.
Can I use a store-bought crust?
Absolutely! I do all of the time. I honestly can not make a pie crust. I’ve never been able to.
Can I used canned apple pie filling instead of fresh apples?
Yes, you definitely can.
How to Make Delicious Apple Pie Bites
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- Pie Crust either your favorite homemade recipe OR you can use a frozen one like I did. It works great.
- Mini muffin tin
- Leaf cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- Small circle cookie cutter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 8 x 8 pan and set it aside. Wash and dice the apples into small chunks. I left the skins on, however, you can take them off, it’s your choice.
- In a separate bowl add the sugar, cinnamon and flour and mix together.
- Then work the softened butter into the mixture. Then spread that mixture onto the apples. Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the apple mixture is baking, you can go ahead and prepare the crust. Roll out the pie crust about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a small round cookie cutter or a pint sized mason jar lid to cut out your circles then press them into a muffin circle.
- Once those are finished, then roll out the remaining dough into another circle and then cut out the leaf tops.
- Once the mixture is down, scoop a teaspoon or so into each circle then top with a leaf.
- Put the tin back into the oven and make at 350 for another 20 minutes. Check the doneness of the crust and continue to make at 5 minute increments until the crust is browned nicely.
- Remove the tin and left them cool. You can serve them warm or let them cool. Serve them with a dollop of ice cream or with whip cream! and sprinkles.
This post was originally from September 2017.