Black Bean and Cream Cheese Burritos are not only easy to make and absolutely delicious, they are also a fantastic source of fiber and protein. If you are looking for a different spin on traditional burritos for dinner, this is a recipe you must check out!
Black Bean and Cream Cheese Burritos
I’ve had a can of black beans in the pantry for quite sometime now. I wanted to make a dip a while back, I just never got around to it.
So I decided to whip up something fast and tasty to get rid of the two flour tortillas I had and that lonely can of black beans. I’m not a fan of refried bean burritos so here is my take on a black bean burrito.
If you are looking for additional recipes that use up those last few ingredients you have in your pantry or fridge, then make sure to check out my recipe for the Ultimate Crack White Chicken Chili! It’s a great way to use up that leftover chicken you have in the fridge.
Another great recipe that my family loves is my Creamed Chicken on Biscuits. This recipe, even though it’s been around forever, is tasty way to use up leftover chicken and or biscuits.
And lastly another family favorite that I think your family might enjoy too, is my Egg Frittata. A frittata is a perfect way to use up those leftover veggies and meat such as sausage and bacon.
Here’s Why This Recipe Works
Besides the fact they are quick and easy to make, you should make this because:
Protein – black beans are a great source of protein
Fiber – burritos with beans are a fantastic source of fiber
Leftovers – it’s a great way to use up those leftover beans and tortillas
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
Below you will find a complete breakdown of all of the ingredients that you will need to make this recipe. I have included just a few key steps and tips to make this recipe a success.
Black beans – any type is fine.
Cream Cheese – you can either use low-fat or regular. It’s totally up to you.
Flour tortillas – any size you have in the pantry or get at your store is fine.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step by Step Directions
- Meat – feel free to add meat to the burrito if you have some that you want to use up.
- Spicy – Garlic! Garlic gives a fantastic flavor to your beans.
You can use either a non-stick skillet or your favorite cast iron skillet to heat up the ingredients.
There shouldn’t be any leftovers from this recipe as you are using up the leftovers you already have.
Should Tortillas be Heated?
It’s not required, however, when you heat them, it makes them easier to fold and less likely to crack when you are rolling them.
You can either heat them in the microwave or in the oven. If you are heating them in the microwave, wrap them in damp paper towels and warm them for 30 seconds.
If warming them in the oven, heat the oven to 350 and wrap approximately 5 – 6 tortillas in foil and heat them for 15 minutes or so.
Should you Rinse Canned Black Beans?
Yes. Before using them, rinse and drain them so that you rinse off that film that is on them from being in the can.
What do you eat with bean burritos?
What Sides Go Well with This Recipe?
- Mexican Street Corn
- Cheesy Nachos
Are Bean Burritos Healthy for you?
They in fact are! They are full of fiber and protein.
This post was originally posted on Kiddies Corner Deals on April 2, 2011. We bought that website and merged it into MomSkoop.
Black Bean and Cream Cheese Burritos Recipe
- Non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15.5 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 4 oz can green chilies
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for garnish
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and green chilies, cook and occasionally stir for about 2 minutes.
- Next add in the black beans, cook and stir for about 3 minutes so everything is heated through.
- Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper stirring until the cheese is melted and mixture is hot.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the skillet from heat and spoon the mixture into the center of the tortillas.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, roll up the tortilla, and garnish with more cheese.
- Serve immediately