The Shredded Chicken Sandwich is one of the most classic sandwiches in Ohio. This hot and creamy chicken sandwich is so easy to make, only requires a handful of ingredients, and is budget friendly. Once you make this sloppy chicken sandwich, you will understand why it’s so popular.
Shredded Chicken Sandwich
Growing up in Ohio, it seemed that every event; whether it be a graduation, a church potluck, a carry in dinner, family reunion, baseball game, school events, or even the fair, you would find this creamy and delicious sandwich.
I think one of the reasons why this recipe became such a mainstay in Ohio kitchens is because it’s very budget friendly AND it’s ready to go in 10 – 15 minutes if you use chicken that has already been cooked.
Why Should You Make This Recipe
I think you should definitely make this recipe because it’s:
Easy – You only need 5 to 6 ingredients.
Budget-friendly – You probably have most of these ingredients already in your pantry.
Hearty – this is one of those rib-sticking and hearty dishes that warms the soul.
What You’ll Need
You will find the complete ingredients list as well as the full directions in the free printable recipe card below.
Ingredients List and Suggestions
Chicken breast – you can either use up leftover roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, or make it fresh.
Soup – most cooks will use Cream of Chicken, however, some will use Cream of Mushroom. It’s totally up to your preference. For my family, we prefer using the chicken soup.
Crackers – if you’d prefer you can use day old bread crumbs, saltine crackers, or croutons. Any of these will work fine. It’s to help bind everything together. Add this ingredient also helps to thicken it up.
How to Make Hot Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
If you are making this on the stove-top with pre-cooked chicken
Step 1: In a medium-sized pan, add in your chicken and take two forks and shred the chunks of chicken. Or if you prefer you can use your hands. If you are using leftover chicken, do this same process.
Step 2: Add in the remaining ingredients.
Step 3: Heat until everything is thoroughly heated.
Step 4: Spoon onto the buns.
Step 5: Enjoy.
Yes, it sure seems to be. The one thing that I’ve always found interesting is that it’s more of a Northwest Ohio and Central Ohio thing. I really haven’t found them in other parts of the state.
This can be done by adding a thicken agent such as Ritz crackers, saltine crackers, bread crumbs, or stuffing mix.
Yes, it can be. Just take 3 or 4 chicken breasts, add them into the slow cooker with the cream of chicken soup, and let it cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Before you are ready to serve, add in the remaining ingredients and let everything cook together for 10 – 15 minutes.
If you feel that it’s a little too dry, add in a 1/4 cup of chicken broth or water. If you still feel it’s too thick and dry, slowly add in more liquid.
If you are in Ohio, the best side is a handful of Ballreich Chips. These chips are like a mainstay in Ohio. In addition to these sandwiches, you would also find a bag or box of Ballreich.
Other side ideas are baked beans, coleslaw, homemade potato salad, or mac and cheese.
A Few of My Favorite Posts
Hot Shredded Chicken Sandwich
- Dutch oven
- 2 Forks or hand mixer or stand mixer
- 2 12 oz Canned Chicken Breast or 3 or 4 uncooked chicken breasts if cooking in the slow cooker
- 1/4 c stuffing mix chicken flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 regular sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 1 10 3/4 oz Cream of Chicken soup
- Chicken broth or water this will vary on how thick you want the chicken
- In a medium sized saucepan, add in the canned chicken. Using a fork or your fingers, shred the chicken. Then add in the remaining ingredients.
- Turn the heat on medium and cook until all of the ingredients are thoroughly heated through.
- If you are wanting to use your crock pot, the full instructions are in the article.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Just take 3 or 4 chicken breasts, add them into the slow cooker with the cream of chicken soup, and let it cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Before you are ready to serve, add in the remaining ingredients and let everything cook together for 10 – 15 minutes.
- If you feel that it’s a little too dry, add in a 1/4 cup of chicken broth or water. If you still feel it’s too thick and dry, slowly add in more liquid.
Making This Recipe Using Chicken Tenderloins
- If you are buying a pack of chicken tenderloins at the store (they normally come in a pack of 7), you will get 3 cups of cooked shredded chicken.
- Place the tenderloins in a Dutch oven and cover them with either water or chicken broth and turn the heat to medium high.
- Let the ingredients come to boil, reduce the heat to medium and let everything cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the chicken is done (registers 165 on a meat thermometer).
- Shred the chicken with two forks or your mixer. Add in the remaining ingredients. Finish cooking as directed above.