Our simple, savory, yet easy cornbread muffins just aren’t for the cold days of Winter. These tasty muffins are perfect any time of the year! Not only are they great for enjoying with a warm bowl of soup, they are also work great served up along side a Summer salad. Muffins made from cornbread are really a very versatile dish.
How to Make Easy Cornbread Muffins from Scratch
There is nothing better than a fresh cornbread muffin served warm from the oven. The great thing about these muffins are that you can even warm them up in the microwave for a bit and they are just as good.
If you are looking for other recipes that also use cornmeal, then make sure to check out our delicious Butter Pecan Cornmeal Muffins.
Cornbread muffins always go perfectly alongside a nice warm bowl of soup! Some of our favorite Falltime soups are my Ultimate Crack White Chicken Chili, my Bacon Beef and Beer Chili, and of course my Firehouse Chili.
One unique chili recipe I have though that is shown in the photos along with the muffins is my Kielbasa Chili. If you are really looking for a new chili recipe to try this year, this is the one to bookmark!
Expert Tips, Ingredient List and Suggestions for Recipe Success
- All-purpose flour – make sure to use the scoop and level with a knife method.
- Unsalted butter – due to adding additional salt, make sure to use unsalted so you can control the amount of salt you are using.
What Happens If You Use Regular Milk Instead of Buttermilk?
Since regular milk doesn’t have the acidity that buttermilk does, it doesn’t work well as a substitute. However, to make your own buttermilk, pour one cup of milk into a liquid measuring cup then add in one tablespoon of white vinegar. Stir the mixture together and let it sit for approximately 5 minutes.
Do These Freeze Well?
Of course the best way to eat muffins are right out of the oven, however, you can seal them in a resealable plastic bag for approximately three months. To use them out of the freezer, let them thaw to room temperature. This will take 3 to 4 hours.
How To Reheat These
To reheat them in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is heating, wrap each muffin individually in foil. Place them into the heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are warm.
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Step 2: Grease the muffin pan or use paper liners
Step 3: Combine all of the ingredients at once and mix just until combined.
Step 3: Evenly spoon into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Step 4: Remove from the oven and let sit in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Easy Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon quality salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs or 6 tablespoons of aquafaba to substitute the eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Grease the muffin pan or use paper liners
- Combine all of the ingredients at once and mix just until combined.
- Evenly spoon into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.